Sate Godok Aceh - Skewerless Acehnese Beef Satay
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 500 gram beef (Indonesian: daging sapi), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 500 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 2 tablespoon tamarind juice (Indonesian: air asam Jawa)
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 gram toasted peanut (Indonesian: kacang tanah sangrai), grind
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 red cayenne chili peppers (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 6 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (Indonesian: biji ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon whole white peppers (Indonesian: biji lada putih)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (Indonesian: jinten)
- 1 teaspoon aniseed (Indonesian: adas manis)
- steamed white rice or steamed rice cake (Indonesian: nasi putih atau lontong)
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- Heat oil in a pot and stir fry spice paste until fragrant. Add lemongrass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves. Cook until slightly wilted and fragrant.
- Add the beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add coconut milk, tamarind juice, sweet soy sauce, palm sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beef is cooked and tender.
- Add the ground toasted peanut, mix well, and continue simmering until the sauce is reduced, creamy, and developed an oily sheen.
- Turn off heat and serve with steamed white rice or rice cake and garnish with deep fried shallot flakes.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.