- Bread dough
- 150 ml (10 tablespoon) warm milk (38 Celsius or 100 Fahrenheit)
- 5 gram active dry yeast
- 5 gram sugar
- 300 gram all-purpose flour
- 10 gram sugar
- 4 gram salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Other ingredients
- 12 hot dog sausages
- egg wash (mix together 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, sprinkles (optional)
- Mix together warm milk, active dry yeast, and 5 gram sugar. Let rest for 20 minutes until foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, 10 gram sugar, and salt. Make a well, then pour the foamy yeast solution, egg, and butter. Knead into a smooth, soft, elastic, and non-sticky dough. If the dough is too sticky, you may add 1-2 tablespoon of all purpose flour. Kneading time is 20 minutes.
- Place the dough in the bowl, wrap with wet kitchen towel or saran wrap. Let it proof until the volume is doubled, about 1 hour in warm kitchen.
- Punch the dough to release air bubbles, knead for a couple of minutes. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Flatten each dough into an oval and make the long axis the same length as the sausage. Place one sausage at the center of dough, make 5 cuts to the dough at each side of the sausage, and make braid with the cuts to wrap the sausage with the dough. Place this on a baking tray (I use a half-sheet pan) lined with parchment paper. Repeat for the other 11 portion.
- Let the bread rolls rest for another 1 hour until the volume is about 150% original size.
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit).
- Mix together 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash. Brush the top of the bread with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the bread is golden brown.
- Best served warm when out from the oven. The bread should be fresh for up to 3 days.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.