Sayur Lontong Zucchini - Zucchini and Vegetables Coconut Milk Stew
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup ground toasted dried shrimps (Indonesian: ebi)
- 2 inch galangal
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam), optional
- 500 gram chicken meat (preferrably thigh), cut into cubes
- 1/2 cabbage, chopped roughly
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 7 cup water/chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce (Indonesian: kecap ikan)
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 2 zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1-2 chayote (Indonesian: labu siam), peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
- 8-10 Thai eggplants (or 1 regular Chinese eggplant), cut into chunks
- salt, to taste
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 100 gram shallot (or red onion)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3-10 red chilies (fresno, cayenne, or jalapeno)
- Heat oil in a soup pot and sauté spice paste, dried shrimp, galangal, and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Add chicken, cook until no longer pink.
- Add cabbage, and cook until wilted.
- Add coconut milk, water/stock, fish sauce, and palm sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until chicken is fully cooked. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add zucchini, chayote, and Thai eggplant. Cook until vegetables are cooked and tender, but still retain its crispiness. About 5-8 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Taste test, and add more salt and/or palm sugar as needed. Serve hot with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.