Sekba Babi - Peranakan Pork Stew
- 500 gram pork shoulder ribs
- 6 cup water
- 8 cup water
- 3 cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- 3 star anise (Indonesian: bunga lawang)
- 1 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns (*)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon black vinegar
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 50 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 block firm tofu (about 400 gram), cut into 1" cubes
- 1 packet preserved green mustard (about 300 gram), cut into 1" sections
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1-2 potatoes (about 500 gram), peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- Place pork and 6 cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes. Set aside the pork and cut into bite size pieces. Discard the water.
- Return cut pork into the pot, add 8 cups of water, along with cloves, star anise, szechuan peppercorns, nutmeg, salt, sugar, sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, and black vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a frying pan, sauté garlic and shallot until fragrant and browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add this to the soup.
- Add tofu, preserved green mustard, hard boiled eggs, and potatoes to the soup. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat is tender and the potatoes are fully cooked. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot with steamed white rice.
- (*) Can be substituted with whole white/black peppercorns.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.