Semur Ayam - Chicken in Nutmeg and Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 800 gram chicken (about 8 pieces)
- 300 gram potato (about 3 potatoes), peeled and cut into 8 wedges per potato
- 1 liter water
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (Indonesian: merica)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté spice paste and lemongrass until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and stir until well coated with the spice and no longer pink.
- Add potatoes, water, sweet soy sauce, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and white pepper into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken and potatoes are cooked and tender, about 30 minutes. Adjust with salt and sugar as needed.
- Turn off heat. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with with shallot flakes and served immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.