Simmered Shiitake Mushrooms
- 8 fresh/dried shiitake mushrooms
- 300 ml dashi stock (or 300 ml water + 1 teaspoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- If using dried shiitake mushrooms, soak the mushrooms with cold water overnight to rehydrate and return them into a soft and spongy state.
- Use a sharp knife to cut away shiitake stems. If you use fresh shiitake mushrooms, you may want to use a damp cloth to gently clean the caps from dirt. It is best if you don’t wash fresh mushrooms under running water.
- Combine dashi stock, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce in a pot. Add shiitake mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer until sauce is almost gone. The mushrooms should have a glossy coating from the sauce.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. You can serve this as a side dish with steamed white rice, as a filling for maki sushi or chirashi sushi, and as topping for ramen/udon.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.