Simple Braised Tofu
- 2 blocks firm/extra firm tofu, cut each into 12-16 pieces
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 red cayenne chilies (or red bird eye chilies for spicier dish), thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Braising sauce (mix the following together)
- 3 tablespoon oyster sauce, or mushroom sauce for vegetarian option
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan (or a well-seasoned cast-iron pan) and fry the tofu pieces until golden brown. Set aside.
- Sauté garlic and chilies until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Then add the braising sauce. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Return the tofu to the pan, reduce heat, and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the scallions, mix well, and cook for another minute. Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.