Sop Ayam - Indonesian Chicken Soup
- 1 free range chicken (Indonesian: ayam kampung), cut into 4 to 8 pieces
- 1 inch ginger, bruised
- 1 bunch of Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri), knotted
- 1.5 liter (6 cups) water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), minced
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (Indonesian: bubuk pala)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 200 gram carrot (Indonesian: wortel)
- 100 gram cabbage (Indonesian: kol)
- 100 gram green beans (Indonesian: buncis)
- 1 scallions, thinly sliced
- Place chicken, ginger, Chinese celery and water in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Remove scum as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan and sauté shallots and garlic until fragrant and the garlic is golden brown. Add this into the soup pot. Then season the soup with ground white pepper, nutmeg, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
- Add vegetables in stages so they cook evenly. I usually add carrots first, and when they are slightly tender, then I add cabbage, and when the cabbage is slightly translucent, add the green beans.
- Once the green beans turns a darker shade of green, add the scallions. Adjust salt and sugar as needed. Turn off heat, and serve hot with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.