Sop Iga Bakar - Grilled Ribs Soup
- 1 kilogram beef ribs (about 8 thick pieces)
- 3 liter of water
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and bruised
- 1 inch galangal, peeled and bruised
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, tear into halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 250 gram carrot, cut into wedges
- 250 gram potato, cut into wedges
- 3 tomatoes, cut each into 8 pieces
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Boil ribs in 1 liter of water until foamy and the scum has surfaced, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Boil the ribs again in 2 liter of water, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until fork tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the pot, then grill the ribs until the surface is slightly charred. Set aside. (*)
- Add ginger, galangal, lime leaves, salt, sugar, and ground pepper to the soup and bring to a boil.
- Add carrot and potato and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add tomatoes and scallion into the soup.
- Serve the soup hot in soup bowls and add a piece of grilled rib to each bowl.
- (*) If you don't have a griller, you can use broiler, or even just pan fry to get the charred surface.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.