Soto Ayam Kediri - Kediri Chicken Soup
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 stalks lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1 free range chicken, cut into 4 pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 500 ml coconut milk
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 asian shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), about 125 gram
- 8 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (Indonesian: bubuk kunyit)
- 1 teaspoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi bakar)
- Garnish and accompaniments
- 4 servings of glass noodle (Indonesian: sohun), cooked according to packet instruction
- 200 gram potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes and boiled until tender
- 4 hard boiled eggs, half each
- lime wedges
- thinly sliced Chinese celery (Indonesian: daun seledri)
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- Heat oil in a soup pot and fry spice paste, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves until fragrant, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, mix well, and cook until no longer pink.
- Add water, salt, and ground white pepper. Mix well, bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Once they are cool enough to handle, tear the meat to small shreds and discard the bones. Set the shredded chicken meat aside.
- Add coconut milk to the broth, mix well, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat as soon as it reaches boiling point.
- To serve, divide glass noodles, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, and shredded chicken into 4 serving bowls. Garnish each bowl with a slice of lime wedge, some Chinese celery and shallot flakes. Pour the broth into the bowl right before eating.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.