Soto Daging - Indonesian Beef Soup
- 1 kilogram beef stew cuts
- 8 cups (2 liter) water
- 3 lemongrass, greener top part (reserve 3" bottom whiter part for spice paste)
- 10 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 4 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 80 gram shallot
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 lemongrass, bottom 3" whiter part
- 1 inch galangal
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds/powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds/powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks cilantro, thinly sliced
- sambal oelek
- deep fried shallot flakes (Indonesian: bawang merah goreng)
- lime wedges
- sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- In a soup pot, boil together beef, water, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, Indonesian bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. About 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat 4 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Sauté spice paste until cooked and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Once the meat is tender, return the soup to a boil. Add the fried spice paste and seasoned the soup with salt. Adjust the amount of salt as needed.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Serve the soup hot with garnishes and steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.