Steamed Stuffed Tofu
- Stuffed tofu
- 2 blocks (each 450 gram/1 lb) firm/extra-firm tofu
- 250 gram (~ 1/2 lb) ground chicken/pork
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch/tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Chili sauce
- 3-5 red chilies (bird-eye, cayenne, or Fresno), thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cut tofu: Cut each block of tofu into four rectangles, then cut each rectangle into two triangles. Since we are using two blocks of tofu, we end up with 16 triangles.
- Hollow out tofu: Make two slits to each tofu triangle, and remove a smaller triangular portion from each tofu triangle.
- Prepare stuffing: Mix tofu scrap with ground chicken, scallions, salt, sugar, white pepper, cornstarch, and soy sauce. Stir until the mixture is even.
- Stuff tofu: Use the stuffing to fill the tofu triangles. If you have any leftover stuffing, shape it into 1-inch meatballs.
- Steam tofu: Prepare a steamer filled with about two inches of water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Arrange stuffed tofu in a steamer-proof plate and steam for 15 minutes.
- Serve: Prepare a simple chili sauce by combining thinly sliced fresh red chilies with lime juice, soy sauce, and kecap manis. Serve the steamed tofu immediately once they are out from the steamer with the chili sauce and steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.