Tahu Gejrot Cirebon - Fried Tofu in Chili Soy Sauce
- 1 block (450 gram / 1 lb) firm/extra-firm tofu (Note 1)
- 200 ml (4/5 cup) water
- 50 ml (3 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 25 gram (0.9 oz) coconut palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon cane sugar vinegar/rice vinegar (Note 2)
- 2-5 bird-eye chilies, or 1-3 cayenne/serrano/jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 50 gram (1.8 oz) shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Fry tofu: Drain tofu and pat dry with a kitchen towel/paper towel. Cut into 8 pieces and fry with a little oil in a non-stick frying pan or a well-seasoned cast-iron pan until golden brown.
- Arrange tofu: Cut each piece of tofu into 4 pieces so you get a total of 32 small fried tofu cubes. Divide the tofu cubes into 4 serving bowls.
- Cook sauce: In a small saucepan, bring water, sweet soy sauce, coconut palm sugar, salt, vinegar, chilies, shallot, and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve: Pour the sauce on top of the tofu and serve immediately.
- (1) Alternatively, you can use 10-12 deep-fried tofu cubes (Indonesian: tahu goreng, pong, or sumedang). Place fried tofu in a large mixing bowl, cover with boiling water and drain after 5 minutes.
- (2) Alternatively, use 25 grams tamarind and mix with 1/4 warm water, then massaged and strained before using it.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.