Tahu Goreng Bumbu Kuning - Turmeric and Spiced Fried Tofu
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (Indonesian: bubuk kunyit)
- 2 blocks firm tofu (about 800 gram total weight), cut each block into 8 pieces
- enough oil for deep frying
- Spice paste (grind the following together)
- 75 gram shallot (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 6 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- Combine water, lemongrass, bay leaves, salt, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and spice paste in a wok. Bring to a boil.
- Add tofu pieces into the wok, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until all the liquid is gone.
- Place the tofu into a strainer and make sure they are completely dry before deep frying (or pan frying) to reduce splatter.
- To deep fry: heat enough oil in a wok/pot for deep frying over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, deep fry tofu until golden brown. Strain to remove excess oil. Serve hot.
- To pan fry: heat 3 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan (or a well seasoned cast iron skillet) over medium heat. Pan fry tofu until all sides are golden brown. Serve hot.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.