Tahu Kecap Kudus - Fried Tofu in Sweet Soy Sauce
- 2 block (each 450 gram/1 lb) firm/extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 daun salam (Indonesian bay leaves)
- 500 ml (2 cup) chicken stock/water
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 100 gram (3.5 oz) shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5-10 red chilies such as bird-eye, cayenne, or Fresno
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon terasi (shrimp paste), toasted (Note 1)
- Fry tofu: Drain the tofu blocks well, then cut each block into eight pieces and pan-fry over medium heat with a little bit of oil in a non-stick frying pan or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool, then cut each fried tofu cube into two pieces. You will get a total of thirty-two pieces of fried tofu cubes.
- Grind spice paste: Use a food processor or a mortar and pestle to grind garlic, shallot, red chilies, ginger, galangal, and toasted shrimp paste into a smooth paste.
- Cook the sauce: Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium heat. Sauté spice paste and Indonesian for 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant. Add sweet soy sauce and chicken stock/water, mix well and cook until boiling.
- Add tofu: Add fried tofu cubes into the wok, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook without a lid until the sauce is reduced and thick. Stir frequently towards the end until the sauce glazes the tofu.
- Serve: Transfer the dish to a serving plate and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
- (1) Toaste shrimp paste/terasi in a microwave for 30 seconds, or in a frying pan without any oil until pale, fragrant, and crumbly.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.