Tahu Tempeh Bacem
- 3 cup (750 ml) coconut water (Indonesian: air kelapa) (Note 1)
- 2 Indonesian bay leaf (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice (from 1 teaspoon tamarind paste + 1 tablespoon water, mixed, massaged, and strained)
- 1 block (450 gram, or 1 lb.) firm, or extra-firm tofu, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 450 gram (1 lb.) 100% soybean tempeh, cut into 8 triangular pieces
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 50 gram shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 inches galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 3 tablespoon coconut palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (Indonesian: ketumbar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place coconut water, daun salam, tamarind juice, and the spice paste in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add tofu and tempeh, cover with a lid, and simmer until all the liquid is gone and the spices are fully absorbed by the tofu and tempeh.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying, fry the tofu and tempeh until golden brown.
- (1) Or use 3 cups water + 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.