Telur Bumbu Bali - Eggs in Balinese Sauce
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind liquid (1 tablespoon water + 1 teaspoon tamarind (Indonesian: asam Jawa) )
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 8 red cayenne chili peppers (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 5 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1 teaspoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi bakar)
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté spice paste until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add tamarind liquid, lemongrass, bay leaves, lime leaves, salt, and palm sugar. Mix well.
- Add eggs, mix well, and cook until the liquid is thickened and slightly reduced.
- Add sweet soy sauce, mix well, and cook for another 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, discard the lemongrass, bay leaves, and kaffir lime leaves. Serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.