Tempe Tumis Cabe Gendot - Tempeh Stir Fry with Habanero
- 500 gram tempeh, cut into matchsticks, about 1cm x 1cm x 5 cm
- 8 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (Indonesian: daun jeruk)
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas), bruised
- 2 to 4 habanero (Indonesian: cabe gendot), seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 200 ml water
- 4 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Deep fry tempeh until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil and sauté shallot, garlic, bay leaves, lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal until fragrant. About 3 minutes.
- Add habanero and sauté for another minute.
- Add salt, sugar, water, and sweet soy sauce. Cook until bubbles and the sauce is reduced by 50%.
- Return the fried tempeh and mix well with the sauce. Cook until the sauce has all been absorbed by the tempeh and the tempeh is coated with a glossy sheen.
- Turn off the heat, discard the leaves and lemongrass. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.