Tempeh Kecap - Fried Tempeh in Sweet Soy Sauce
- 300 gram tempeh, cut into matchsticks
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah besar), thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 3 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis), either from Bango or ABC
- oil, for deep frying and for sautéing
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 50 gram shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 3 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan for deep frying. Deep fry tempeh until golden brown, drain on wire rack/paper towel.
- Remove almost all the oil from the frying pan, and leave about 2 tablespoon of oil. Sauté spice paste, lemongrass, and bay leaves until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add red chilies and sauté until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Return the fried tempeh to the pan, season with salt, palm sugar, and sweet soy sauce. Toss/stir until the tempeh pieces are fully coated with the sweet soy sauce. Turn off heat and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.