Tempeh Mendoan - Deep Fried Tempeh with Spiced Batter
- 450 gram (1 lb.) soybeans tempeh, cut into thin slices (I cut mine into 12-16 slices)
- oil for deep frying
- Spiced batter
- 125 gram all-purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour (Indonesian: tepung beras)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), grated
- 2 scallions (Indonesian: daun bawang), cut into thin sliced
- 200 ml water
- Chili sauce (mix together the following ingredients)
- 4 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 2 to 5 red Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah), seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih), minced
- Heat enough oil in a pot/frying pan for deep frying.
- Combine all batter ingredients in a mixing bowl, make sure to remove all the lumps.
- Once the oil is ready, dip each slice of tempeh in the batter and deep fry until crispy.
- Arrange the fried tempeh on a serving plate and serve with the chili sauce.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.