Terong Balado - Eggplants with Chili Sauce
- 4 Chinese eggplants (about 750 gram)
- 8 tablespoon cooking oil
- 50 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 20 gram tamarind, dissolve with 2 cups of warm water
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 40 gram fresh red chilies (fresno, or bird-eye, or a mix of the two), seeded if you want less heat
- 100 gram shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Quarter eggplants lengthwise and cut into bite size pieces. Soak in cold water that has been sprinkled with plenty of salt to prevent eggplant flesh from turning into brown color.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok on high heat. Pat dry eggplants and fry for about 2 minutes to bring out the color. Drain over a wire rack to remove excess oil, and set aside.
- Remove the oil from the wok and leave about 1 tablespoon of oil. Heat the oil and stir fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the tamarind juice and add the palm sugar. Boil for about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the fried eggplants and boil again for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.