Terong Kecap Pedas - Spicy Sweet Soy Sauce Eggplant
- 1 eggplant (~ 1lb./450 gram), cut into wedges
- 50 gram shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-10 dried red chilies, remove seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoon Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 serrano/jalapeno chili, thinly sliced
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot, fry the eggplant pieces in hot oil for 1 minute. Remove the eggplant from pan and set aside.
- Remove all the oil from the frying pan and leave about 3 tablespoon worth. Heat the oil again over medium high heat, sauté shallot, garlic, and dried red chilies until fragrant.
- Add salt, pepper, and kecap manis to the pan. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Return the eggplant to the frying pan, lower the heat to a medium low. Cook until the sauce is almost dry and absorbed by eggplant.
- Turn off the heat. Add thinly sliced serano/jalapeno, stir well, transfer to a serving plate and serve with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.