Terong Saus Tomat Pedas - Eggplant in Spicy Tomato Sauce
- enough oil for deep frying
- 1 eggplant (1 lb./ 450 gram), cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
- 4-5 red chilies (fresno is preferred), seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoon Indonesian sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Heat enough oil in a wok/pot for deep frying. Once the oil is hot, fry eggplant wedges until golden brown, set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil over medium high heat, and sauté garlic, ginger, and chilies until fragrant.
- Add tomato ketchup, sweet soy sauce, fish sauce, ground white pepper, sugar, and water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Once the sauce boils, return the fried eggplant into the frying pan and toss to coat with the sauce.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate, garnish with thinly sliced scallions, and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.