Tori Misoyaki Miso Glazed Grilled Chicken
- Grilled chicken
- 1/2 cup red miso paste
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1.5 kilogram (3.5 lb.) bone-in chicken pieces (I use all drumsticks)
- Onion miso soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably low sodium version)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- Combine 1/2 cup red miso paste and 1/2 cup mirin until smooth. Use this miso-mirin paste to marinate chicken pieces. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, overnight is best.
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let them return to room temperature. Preheat oven to 230 Celsius (450 Fahrenheit).
- Scrape/wipe off as much of the marinate from the chicken, miso is easily burnt in the oven, so we don't want that. Arrange chicken on a baking pan.
- Bake/roast the chicken for 25 minutes at 230 Celsius (450 Fahrenheit). Reduce the oven temperature to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit), and continue baking/roasting for another 40 minutes. You may want to turn the chicken pieces a few time during baking/roasting to get an even color.
- (Optional step): Five minutes prior to the chicken finish roasting/baking, brush the chicken skin with some mirin. This will give the chicken skin a glossy glaze.
- Once the chicken has finished roasting/baking, remove from the oven, and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make the sauce (I usually do this step while the chicken is in the oven): in a small sauce pot, fry onion with the 2 tablespoon oil until translucent. Add water, soy sauce, mirin, and garlic. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat a little and continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and thick. Add butter, and turn the heat off once the butter has melted. Remove the sauce pot from heat source, then add the 1 tablespoon of red miso paste, stir until miso is completely melted.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and some steamed white rice.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.