Tori no Tatsuta Age - Deep Fried Marinated Chicken
- 500 gram chicken thigh meat, cut into bite sizes
- 2 tablespoon each: soy sauce, mirin, sake
- 1 teaspoon of ginger juice (grate some fresh ginger, about 1", then strain to get the juice)
- 1/2 cup katakuriko (potato starch), or substitute with corn starch
- enough oil for deep frying
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoon katakuriko (potato starch), or substitute with corn starch
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Marinate chicken thigh with soy sauce, mirin, sake, and 1 teaspoon of ginger juice. Set aside for 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Pat dry the chicken and transfer to a zip lock bag, along with 1/2 cup of katakuriko. Shake vigorously to coat the chicken.
- Heat a pot of oil for deep frying, and meanwhile, make the batter by whisking egg whites until frothy, then stir in katakuriko, scallions, ginger, and mix well.
- Once the oil is hot (~ 170 Celsius/340 Fahrenheit), coat the chicken pieces in the egg white batter, and fry until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. The best way is to open some cold beer (or hot sake) to savor the fried chicken.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.