Vietnamese Skewered Pork
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 1 kilogram (~ 2.2 lb) pork shoulder ribs, cut into thin slices (2-3mm or 1/32-1/16")
- 50 gram shallot/onion, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemongrass, white parts only, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup Vietnamese caramel sauce (*)
- ~ 16-20 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 1 hour prior to baking
- Mix together pork with the rest of the ingredients (except bamboo skewers), and marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius (400 Fahrenheit).
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil, and place a baking rack inside each of the baking sheet. Skewer the marinated pork with bamboo skewers, and arrange on baking rack. (Note: I use 2 sheets, and I place 8 skewers per rack for a total of 16 skewers.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then flip to the other side, brush with any leftover marinating sauce, and bake again for another 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven, but turn on broiler. Broil each side for 1-2 minutes until charred. Serve hot.
- (*) Store bought. Or homemade version: heat 3 tablespoon sugar in a heavy bottom sauce pot until melted and amber color, then quickly add 1/2 cup hot water to the pot. Stir until fully dissolved.
Another great recipe by https://dailycookingquest.com.