This ground beef dish is a lifesaver. It's easy, quick, tasty, and aside from the beef, garlic, and scallion, everything else is basic pantry ingredients.
People who have busy schedules need to learn how to make this Chinese ground beef meat sauce. When your fridge is stocked with this meat sauce, you can make meat sauce rice bowl, or meat sauce noodles whenever you need a quick and delicious meal.
Ground beef or pork?
I use ground beef here because this is probably the most common ground meat sold in the United States. Traditionally, or at least the way it is prepared in my home growing up, is with ground pork. If your supermarket has ground pork, definitely go with that. The rest of the recipe stays the same, just change the meat :)
Easy rice bowl, noodle bowl, or even spaghetti bowl
The idea of meat sauce is that busy Moms who cannot prepare food for their kids during lunchtime can rest easy that the kiddos will have a satisfying meal once they return from school. As long as Mom remembers to turn on the rice cooker, the kiddos can simply scoop out steamed white rice along with plenty of meat sauce for lunch. If you are Chinese growing up, uh…, anywhere…., I am sure you understand what I am saying :)
Chinese Ground Beef Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 100 gram (~ 1 cup, or 1 small) onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 gram (~ 1 lb.) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant, and until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef, stir to break up the beef, continue cooking until beef is no longer pink.
- Add hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, sugar, and ground pepper. Mix well and cook until almost dry, stir occasionally.
- Turn off heat, stir in scallion and sesame seeds.
- You can use this to top a bowl of rice to make meat sauce rice bowl. Or, you can boil some noodles/ramen and top the noodle with this meat sauce too.