A chocolate cake can be delicious AND healthy. This cake uses tofu as its secret ingredient, and no one will be able to tell unless you spill the beans.
I once made a chocolate truffle cake, with a really dense texture and it was oh so decadently good. I know how rich that cake was and had to keep telling myself not to be greedy. I ended up gifting half of it away because otherwise, I would not be able to stop myself.
This cake though, this one that looks almost exactly like that dense chocolate cake, with the texture that is also almost exactly the same, is another story alltogether.
This cake is healthy! There is no flour, no butter, other than the little tiny amount to grease the pan, and no cream. So what is this magic? This chocolate tofu cake is made of silken tofu, chocolate (use your favorite dark/bittersweet chocolate for this), cocoa powder, eggs, sugar, a bit of milk and rum.
This cake almost has no rise whatsoever. I baked this in a standard 9”x5” loaf pan and it was barely half-filled when the baking was done. So if you have a smaller pan, like the 8”x4” loaf pan, I think it will work much better in terms of filling the pan. But no matter, although my cake is rather short looking, they taste amazing, and it is alright to eat a couple of these in one seating without feeling any guilt :)
Chocolate Tofu Cake
- 150 gram silken tofu (about 1/2 block typically)
- 3 egg yolks
- 30 gram (4 tablespoon) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon rum/brandy
- 150 gram (~ 1 cup) dark/bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 3 egg whites
- 100 gram (~ 1/2 cup) sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat together silken tofu, egg yolks, cocoa powder, and rum/brandy. Set aside.
- In a microwave proof bowl, place chocolate and milk. Heat in microwave until the chocolate melts. I only need 30 seconds with my microwave. Stir to combine the chocolate and milk. Add this to the silken tofu mixture and mix well.
- In another mixing bowl (use stainless steel one for this), whisk egg whites until it starts to foam, then start adding sugar in 3 batches and keep whisking until stiff peak.
- With a spatula, scoop 1/3 of egg whites into the chocolate tofu mixture. Fold until well mixed. Repeat two more times.
- Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan with some butter. Preheat oven to 170 Celcius (340 Fahrenheit).
- Pour the cake batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely, then remove the cake from the pan, cut into slices.
- Serve as is, of dress up with some powdered sugar, whipped cream, or even some berries.