Fresh corns are abundant in Indonesia and they are pretty much a year round vegetable, so it is such a shame to prepare corn and egg drop soup with canned corn. I am a true believer of using fresh ingredients whenever it is possible, so if you want to make this with canned corn, just do a quick Google search and you are guaranteed 1,367,439 recipes to choose from. ♥
I make everything from scratch, including the soup stock, which is great if you are using chicken like me. If you prefer more luxurious ingredients, such as crab meat, try to use chicken stock as your soup base instead of water.
Corn and Egg Drop Soup
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- 1 pair of chicken breasts with bone and skin
- 2 corns, separate the cobs from the kernels
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoon corn starch + 4 tablespoon water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- sesame oil
- Place chicken breast, corn cobs, onions, and water in a soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Discard the corn cobs. Remove skin and bone from the chicken breasts, tear the chicken meat into small pieces and return them to the pot.
- Add corn kernels into the pot and bring to another boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Shaoxing wine and adjust seasoning as needed. Pour the corn starch solution to thicken the soup. Turn off heat.
- Pour the egg into the soup in a steady stream, and quickly stir in a clockwise direction until thin shreds are formed.
- Serve with thinly sliced scallions and a couple drops of sesame oil per serving.