Enjoy tape (fermented cassava) as crackers sandwich snack by deep-frying tape sandwiched between two square crackers, and coated with a simple batter.
Fried crackers sandwich is a really classic Indonesian snack and has been around for the longest time, at least since the time of my grandparents. It is made with two square crackers sandwiching either sweet or savory filling, then coat with thick batter and deep fried until crispy and golden brown. This crackers sandwich is usually eaten as afternoon snack with tea or coffee. One of my favorite filling is using tape (fermented cassava) to make crackers tape goreng which is what I will be sharing in the post, and the other is actually a savory one made with ground chicken and mashed potato. Once you get the basic idea of how to make this crackers sandwich, you can start experimenting with crazy filling. ♥
Crackers Tape Goreng - Fried Fermented Cassava Crackers
- 16 square crackers
- 250 gram fermented cassava (Indonesian: tape), mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder (Indonesian: bubuk kayu manis)
- enough oil for deep frying
- Coating batter
- 50 gram all purpose flour (Indonesian: tepung terigu)
- 25 gram rice flour (Indonesian: tepung beras)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml water
- Mix together mashed fermented cassava and cinnamon powder. Divide into 8 portions.
- Sandwich 1 portion of the fermented cassava with 2 crackers. Repeat until you get 8 sandwiches. Set aside.
- Combine all coating batter ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Coat each sandwich with the coating batter and deep fry in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. Drain on wire rack/paper towel.
- Serve immediately with hot tea or hot coffee.