A month ago or so, my parents took us to a really traditional Chinese restaurant in Northern Jakarta. Supposedly the owner is Indonesian who had been living in China for more than 30 years and decided to return to Indonesia to start a restaurant business. Needless to say, the food is old school Chinese through and through. In other word, if you want a really authentic Chinese food, this is probably one of the place to get it.
Among the dishes that we ordered, we had this egg and tomato stir fry. It was so simple but so tasty, something that every aspiring cook should be able to reproduce at home, right? It was not exactly the first time I had this dish, I remember eating copious amount when I was in Malaysia (yes, I lived in Malaysia for almost one year and a half right after high school), and I went straight to Rasa Malaysia and was so happy to find the recipe. If you haven’t heard of Rasa Malaysia yet, you guys should really go and spend hours upon hours gazing at the tasty recipes there, Asian food lovers would have found a slice of paradise :)
As I suspected, it really is so easy to reproduce at home. With just a small list of ingredients and 15 minutes or so, I can now have this tasty comfort food whenever I want. ♥
Egg and Tomato Stir Fry
5.0 from 2 reviews
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (Chinese: Shao Xing Hua Tiao Jiu)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes of ground white pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tomatoes (about 200 gram)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Lightly beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. Add Shaoxing wine, salt, ground white pepper, and sesame oil and mix well.
- Cut the tomatoes into thin wedges. I cut mine into 8 wedges per tomato for a total of 16 wedges.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of the cooking oil in a frying pan on high heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Once it starts to hardened, break the egg with a spatula to get small bite size lumps. When the eggs are no longer runny, quickly transfer to a plate.
- Clean the frying pan a bit and heat a tablespoon of oil on high heat. Add tomato wedges and give a quick 30 second stir fry. Season with sugar and pour the water, give another quick stir, then cover with a lid and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the lid, return the eggs into the pan, and add the chopped scallions. Stir fry for another 30 seconds. Turn off heat and transfer to a serving plate. Serve immediately.