If you have been following my blog, then you know I am probably bordering on obsession to find new ways to cook with my rice cooker. So far, I have successfully bake cakes and many rice dishes. Another dish that I sorely miss is making baked chicken with an oven, which I think is another prime candidate to experiment with my rice cooker. A bit of background, I move quite a lot. I think it is a cruel twist of fate that I somehow cannot manage to stay put in one place for a long time. I think I have moved around 10 times in the last 15 years alone! The great news about moving (is there any actually?) is to be able to experience new places. The bad news is my kitchen is almost always never really complete, always missing something, right now I am missing an oven. Throughout my many moves, the only constant thing that I own in a kitchen is a rice cooker, hence my obsession. Anyway, I should not bore you to tears with my moving stories, instead, let’s move on to baking a chicken in rice cooker, shall we? ♥
Five Spice Chicken in Rice Cooker
4.0 from 1 reviews
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 10 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- Marinating sauce
- 2 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a mixing bowl, rub the chicken legs with marinating sauce. Wrap the bowl with a saran plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Place the scallions and shallots at the bottom of a rice cooker pot. Place the chicken on top of the scallions and shallots, then drizzle with Shaoxing wine.
- Cook in rice cooker for 30 minutes, then switch to "warm" mode and wait another 5 minutes.
- Open the rice cooker lid (careful, there will be hot steam), and check if the chicken has fully cooked by inserting a tip of a small knife (or a skewer) into a chicken. If the juice is clear, the chicken is done. Otherwise, cook again for another 5 minutes until the juice runs clear.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately with steamed white rice.