Ginger and scallion, the most common pair in Chinese cooking. This time I am using the pair for a quick chicken stir fry with a good measure of white mushrooms too. You can use other mushrooms of your choice. When we were young, my Mom used to cook this with canned straw mushroom. Back then, the choice of mushrooms in the market was really limited, so when a recipe calls for mushroom, she either resorted to canned ones, or dried ones like shiitake. Now though, we are so lucky that to have so many different variety of fresh mushrooms to choose from ;)
Ginger and Scallion Chicken Stir Fry
Categories: Side Dish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips (julienned)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-5 bird eye chilies, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 5 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces, separate the white parts from the green parts
- 500 gram skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 250 gram white mushroom (other mushroom can be used too, like shiitake)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a wok/frying pan and sauté ginger for 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, chilies, and white parts of scallions. Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add chicken pieces, and cook until no longer pink.
- Add white mushrooms and mix well.
- Add all sauce ingredients into the wok/frying pan, mix well, then cover the wok/frying pan with a lid and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the lid, adjust the taste with salt and pepper to your liking. Then add the green parts of scallion, toss well, then turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with steamed white rice.