Ever go to a market and buy some chilies? They never let you buy a small amount that you actually need, like can I get just 10 chilies, pretty please? Most sellers impose a minimum quantity that you can buy, which usually means at least 100 gram, still a bit too much when I don’t plan on making lots of dishes with chilies. Luckily, I am a big fan of chili pickle, so they almost never go to waste. This green chili pickle is just one of my many favorites, and it goes really well with Chinese noodles, like you favorite wonton noodles. :)
Green Chili Pickle
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Serves: 1 1/2 cup
- 250 gram green chilies (Indonesian: cabe hijau besar)
- Pickling juice (mix the following together)
- 1 cup Chinese rice vinegar (Indonesian: cuka beras)
- 100 gram sugar (Indonesian: gula)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (Indonesian: garam)
- Wash and drain the green chilies, then remove the stalks, and cut into 1/2 inch rounds. Set aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pot. Once it boils, turn off the heat, add the green chilies into the pot and let the chilies soak in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain well, and place the chilies into a jar (or several jars).
- Pour the pickling juice over the chilies to start the pickling process. Cover the jar and set aside. If you are impatient, they can be consumed in as little as 2 hours, though I think letting them chill in the fridge overnight is better.