A tataki is a quick seared dishes served with a dipping sauce, and often considered as a sashimi dish. Since it is a quick seared, try to cook the beef to rare or medium rare. Even if you are squeamish with eating rare steak, please don’t cook the beef anymore than medium.
The salad is optional though I love combining the beef slices with a light salad to make a meal in itself. The ponzu sauce (soy sauce + lemon sauce) and condiments (grated daikon, grated ginger, and sliced scallions) are not optional and should be part of the dish.
Gyuuniku no Tataki - Quick Seared Beef
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 400 gram beef tenderloin or sirloin (4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 4 lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Ponzu sauce (mix together)
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 tablespoon grated daikon
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil on frying pan and cook the beef until rare or medium rare. Remove from heat and cut into thin slices.
- Arrange four serving plates with salad and thinly sliced beef. Serve with ponzu sauce and condiments