I really love Japanese potato salad, one of the creamiest and eggiest salad there is. This is so good when you don’t care about cholesterol intake, since the eggs and mayonnaise really make the salad. If you are watching your diet, maybe do this once in a while, okay? The trick to a lovely potato salad is to make sure there is no excess liquid, this means you need to pan dry boiled potatoes and carrots to remove all those boiled liquid, usually until you see the potato becomes slightly powdery. As for the cucumber and onion, just sprinkle with salt, massage gently, and let rest until you see liquid coming out from them, then gently squeeze dry. If you follow this method, your potato salad will not be runny at all. Potato salad is great as is, or you can spread this on bread and make potato salad sandwich. ♥
Japanese Potato Salad
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 3 potatoes (about 500 gram), peeled and cut each potato into 4 wedges
- 1 carrot (about 150 gram), peeled and cut into 4 cylinders
- 1 cucumber (about 200 gram), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion (about 100 gram), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 100 gram mayonnaise
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil, then boil potato wedges and carrot cylinders until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Chop the potatoes and carrots into bite size pieces, then dry fry in a frying pan until dry, you should be able to see the potatoes become slightly powdery. Turn off heat, and set aside to cool to room temperature. It is okay to chill in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Place thinly sliced cucumbers and onions in a bowl, and sprinkle with 2 teaspoon of salt. Gently massage the salt into the cucumbers and onions, then set aside until you see liquid coming out from the vegetables, about 15 minutes. Gently squeeze the cucumbers and onions then place in a new bowl.
- To assemble the salad, combine potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, onions, and hard boiled eggs in a mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise, and season with salt and pepper to your taste, then gently toss to mix everything together. Serve immediately.