Kayaku gohan is a very simple Japanese rice dish packed with chicken and vegetables that are sure to become an instant favorite. If you have ever tried a kamameshi in Japanese restaurant before, this is basically the same dish minus the pretty looking kama (the kettle pot). ♥
Kayaku Gohan - Rice with Chicken and Vegetables
- 2 cup rice (use rice cup that comes with a rice cooker), about 360 gram, washed and drained
- 200 gram chicken thigh, cubed and parboiled
- 50 gram konnyaku, cut into 1 inch strips and parboiled
- 50 gram carrot, peeled and cut into match sticks
- 4 fresh shiitake (about 50 gram), remove stems and cut into thin strips
- 2 1/2 cup dashi stock (or 2½ cup water + 2 teaspoon bonito flavored dashi seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon mirin (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker and cook.
- When the rice cooker turns to "warm", stir with a spatula, close the rice cooker lid, and keep warm for another 10 minutes before serving.