Another favorite from my hometown. I know there seems to be so many things to prepare for, but they are not hard, really. And you can always prepare the noodles right before serving time and everything else in advance. ♥
Mi Sop Medan - Medan Style Chicken Noodle Soup
5.0 from 1 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Total Time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 to 6
- 500 gram bone in chicken breast
- 100 gram jicama/water chesnut, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 5 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 liter water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (Indonesian: kayu manis)
- 1 anise (Indonesian: pekak/bunga lawang)
- 2 cardamom (Indonesian: kapulaga)
- 4 cloves (Indonesian: cengkeh)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 15 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 15 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 2 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 250 gram dried egg noodles
- 250 gram dried vermicelli
- 2 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), finely chopped
- 2 celery leaves (Indonesian: daun seledri), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon fried shallot (Indonesian: bawang goreng)
- 2 lime (Indonesian: jeruk nipis), cut into wedges
- Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (Indonesian: sambal bajak)
- 2 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis)
- Chicken Soup and Fried Chicken
- Heat oil in a soup pot and fry the spice paste until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add water, tomatoes, cinnamon stick, anise, cardamom, and cloves. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken breast and water chestnut and bring to a boil. Cover the lid, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from the soup, fry until golden brown, and tear the meat. Set aside.
- Boil vermicelli and noodle according to the packaging. Drain and set aside. Toss with a little bit of cooking oil to prevent from sticking.
- To serve
- Place some noodles and some vermicelli in a bowl, pour soup and garnish with chopped scallion, celery leaves and fried shallot. Serve with a side dish of fried chicken, lime wedges, and chili sauce.