Nasi liwet is rice cooked in coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, and Indonesian bay leaves (daun salam), giving the rice a very rich and aromatic taste. Nasi liwet is typically served alongside a set of side dishes such as telur pindang, ayam suwir or ayam opor, tumis labu siam, and telur areh. Of course you don’t need to prepare the whole set, but I think at least serve this with ayam suwir or ayam opor and either telur pindang or telur areh.
I have tweaked the tradional nasi liwet recipe to work with my rice cooker, hopefully it should work with any rice cooker out there :) So if you don’t want to prepare nasi liwet the traditional way and want to use your rice cooker, you can follow this recipe for an easy and almost instant way to cook nasi liwet.
Nasi Liwet in Rice Cooker
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 450 gram Thai jasmine rice, washed and drained (about 3 rice cooker cups)
- 4 Indonesian bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 2 lemongrass (Indonesian sereh), cut into 2 inch sections, bruised
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk from canned coconut milk
- 2 3/4 cup chicken stock (unsalted) or water (*)
- Place all ingredients in rice cooker pot, give it a stir so everything is mixed together. Put the pot in your rice cooker machine, and press cook until the rice is fully cooked.
- Let the cook rice sit unopened for 10 minutes, then open the rice cooker lid, use the rice spatula to gently fluff and stir. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- (*) Follow the required amount of water suggested by your rice cooker, minus 1/4 cup which was substituted by 1/4 cup coconut milk.