Okara is the leftover soy bean pulp from making soy milk. While this “waste” is usually thrown away, it can be turned into various delicious food. Today I have an easy recipe for okara tofu nuggets, so please give this recipe a try if you make your own soy milk at home. If I get an enthusiastic response from this recipe, I plan to share even more okara recipes in the future.
If you think about it, okara probably has more nutrition compared to soy milk, and it is such a waste to throw them away. Since it is very common for Japanese to incorporate okara in their dishes, you can even buy okara from market in Japan, so you don’t have to make soy milk to get a batch of okara.
What do I need to make okara tofu nuggets?
I try to make this okara tofu nuggets with simple ingredients. We will need:
- firm tofu
- dashi stock granules, or use chicken/beef/vegetable stock
- mayonnaise, I prefer using Kewpie for this, but regular mayonnaise is okay too
- potato starch (katakuriko), or use cornstarch/tapioca starch
Since the recipe is so basic, feel free to add your favorite ingredients such as thinly sliced scallions, grated carrots, and diced bell peppers.
Shaping and frying the nuggets
To shape the nuggets, simply mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, and scoop out 3-4 tablespoon of mixture and shape into patties.
To fry the nuggets, heat a pot of oil for deep-frying. And once the oil is hot, gently drop the shaped okara nuggets into hot oil, and fry until golden brown.
Okara Tofu Nuggets
4.9 from 8 reviews
Author: Anita Jacobson
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 450 gram (1 pound) okara (soy bean pulp from making soy milk)
- 1 block firm tofu, crumbled into tiny bits
- 3-4 teaspoon Japanese dashi stock granules, or use chicken/beef/vegetables stock
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup katakuriko (potato starch), or use cornstarch/tapioca starch
- Heat about 3 inches of oil in a wok/pot for deep frying. Once the oil reaches 180 Celsius (360 Fahrenheit), it is ready for deep frying tofu nuggets.
- Mix together all ingredients in a mixing bowl, take about 3-4 tablespoon of mixture and shape into patties, then carefully drop in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Repeat until all mixture is used up.
- These nuggets are delicious as is, but they are also great with some tomato ketchup, mayonnaise, and chili sauce.