I love okra and I love shrimp, so combining the two in a quick stir fry with fiery chili sauce is a no brainer. And this being a stir fry, be extra sure to do your mise en place properly. The cooking needs to be done real quick, like in 5 to 6 minutes flat from start to finish. Oh, do you notice the rising steam? I am so proud of this shot despite a bit overexposed, haha. ♥
Can you see how the shrimps look so lovely? The trick is to cook them only until they turn pink. My rule of thumb is never to cook them more than 2 minutes (1 minute is plenty), and always the last one into the pot.
Okra and Shrimp Stir Fry with Chili Sauce
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi)
- 250 gram okra, cut into 1 inch lengths at an angle
- 4 tablespoon water
- 20 medium size shrimps, devein and shells removed, keep tails intact
- 1 red chili (Indonesian: cabe merah besar), thinly slice at an angle
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grind into spice paste
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat and stir fry spice paste and shrimp paste until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add okra and water into the pan and stir to fully coat with the chili sauce. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimps, chili, salt, and sugar. Toss until shrimps are no longer pink.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately.