Onbitjkoek is the less well known Indonesian spiced cake compared to lapis legit, but much easier to bake and is understatedly delicious in its own right.
If you ask Indonesians what their signature spiced cake is, most of the time they will answer with lapis legit, and only very very occasionally they answer with onbitjkoek. It is very understandable, since lapis legit is definitely the crown jewel of Indonesian cake, with its showy multi layers (hence the thousand layers moniker) and is sinfully rich and buttery in each and every bite. But a lapis legit takes hours and hours of manual labor to bake, and most people only bake a lapis legit to celebrate special events, like Idul Fitri, Christmas, or Chinese New Year. To tide of the lapis legit cravings until the next holiday, we turn to onbitjkoek.
Differences between Indonesian and Dutch onbitjkoek
Onbitjkoek is originally a Dutch cake, but it has been adapted by Indonesian to better suite our palate. Indonesian version of onbitjkoek use regular all-purpose flour instead of rye flour, we use palm sugar instead of molasses, and even the spekkoek seasoning blend (a.k.a. speculaas spice mix) is slightly different than the one used in Netherland. If you want an authentic Indonesian version of onbitjkoek or lepis legit, stick to using spekoek seasoning, though it is totally acceptable too if all you have is Dutch speculaas spice mix. Or, if you want to make your own blend at home, combine equal amount of cinnamon powder, mace powder, and clove powder.
Onbitjkoek - Spiced Pound Cake
- 175 gram all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon spekoek seasoning
- 5 eggs
- 150 gram palm sugar or brown sugar
- 100 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 25 gram almond slices or sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 190 Celcius (375 Fahrenheit). Grease and flour a 9" loaf pan, set aside.
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and spekoek seasoning. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together eggs and palm sugar until all the sugar has completely dissolved. Add sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture in 3 batches, mix well in each addition. Slowly add the melted butter into the batter, mix well.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with almond slices or sesame seeds. Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester came out clean.