I have a weird habit of making lots of hard boiled eggs at a time and slowly finish them throughout the coming days. I kinda like eating plain hard boiled eggs, but sometimes I will muster some willpower and make yummy dishes out of them, this opor telur is just one of them. And, if you start from having said hard boiled eggs ready to go, this dish is gonna be a breeze to make. It is one of those dishes where you dump everything in a pot and let it cook until ready, just occasional stir is required. ♥
Opor Telur - Eggs in Creamy Coconut Milk Sauce
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 400 ml coconut milk (Indonesian: santan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 hard boiled eggs (Indonesian: telur rebus)
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 6 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 4 candlenuts (Indonesian: kemiri)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder (Indonesian: bubuk ketumbar)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (Indonesian: bubuk lada)
- Heat oil and sauté spice paste and bay leaves until fragrant.
- Pour the coconut milk and season with salt and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add hard boiled eggs into the pot and cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened into a creamy sauce, stir occasionally. The sauce should be able to coat the eggs at the end of the cooking process.
- Turn off heat and serve with steamed white rice.