This is a more unusual way to prepare tempeh, at least I don’t make perkedel tempeh often enough, and I don’t think I encounter much of this in Jakarta. In Solo, where this is called ento-ento, perhaps perkedel tempeh is a more common occurrence. My typical perkedel is made with potato or tofu, but I think this is better, since tempeh is actually way more nutritious than either potato or tofu. ♥
Perkedel Tempeh - Tempeh Fritters
- 300 gram tempeh, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Chinese cellery (Indonesian: daun seledri), thinly sliced
- 1 scallion (Indonesian: daun bawang), thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 2 red chilies (Indonesian: cabe merah keriting)
- Prepare a steamer and steam the tempeh cubes for 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the tempeh cubes until coarse paste.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tempeh paste with spice paste, Chinese cellery, scallion, egg, salt, and sugar. Stir until well mixed, then divide the dough into 12 portions and shape into either balls/discs/oblongs. I shaped mine into oblongs :)
- Heat enough oil in a pot for deep frying. Deep fry the tempeh balls/discs/oblongs until golden brown and crispy. Drain on wire rack/paper towel. Serve immediately.