One of standard oldies but good to know dessert recipe, this agar is very close to agar srikaya, but with an addition of egg, which makes it so much richer. Of course, if you or your loved ones are vegan, you will want to exclude the egg, which is fine, and you will end up with agar srikaya.
Puding Gula Merah - Palm Sugar Agar
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
- 400 ml water
- 180 gram palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 packet (7 gram) plain agar-agar powder (*)
- 1 egg
- Lightly beat an egg in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- Place water, palm sugar, and pandan leaves in a pot. Cook until all the sugar has melted. Strain and return the liquid to the pot.
- Add coconut milk and agar-agar powder. Bring to a boil, stir continuously so the agar-agar powder is well mixed.
- Slowly pour half of the agar-agar mixture into the egg, while stirring quickly. Then pour the egg and agar mixture from the mixing bowl back into the pot.
- Return the pot to the stove and cook until boiling. Pour into mould(s) and chill in the fridge until fully set. Serve chilled.
- (*) My favorite brand is Swallow.