Pan fried fish fillet is my family favorite dish. Whenever I make pan fried fish dishes like Chinese pan fried fish with soy sauce, soy bean paste fish, or pan fried fish with Thai sweet chili sauce, I can be sure that the dish will be devoured in no time at all. Today, I am going to share another of my favorite and easy to make pan fried fish dish: rock fish in butter ponzu sauce.
You can buy ready made ponzu sauce from most Asian groceries, but you can also make it easily at home from soy sauce, dashi stock, yuzu juice (or lemon juice), rice vinegar, and mirin. My easy to remember ratio is 2 tablespoon soy sauce : 2 tablespoon dashi stock : 1 tablespoon yuzu (or lemon juice) : 1 tablespoon rice vinegar : 1 teaspoon mirin. Just mix all the ingredients together to make home-made ponzu sauce.
Let’s dive to the recipe. Pat dry rock fish fillet (or any kind of white fish fillet of your choice, such as cod, sea bream, tilapia), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and dust with all purpose flour. Pan fry the fish fillet until golden brown and set aside. Next, prepare the sauce by boiling together 2:1 ratio of ponzu sauce and butter. For a 500 gram total of fish fillet, you will need 4 tablespoon ponzu sauce and 2 tablespoon butter. Once the sauce boils, return the fish fillet into the sauce and simmer for 1 minute and the dish is done! Super simple no? You can dress the dish up with a simple salad and garnish with thinly sliced scallions. This goes really well with steamed white rice.
Rock Fish in Butter Ponzu Sauce
Categories: Main Dish
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
- 500 gram rock fish fillet (about 4 portions)
- all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon ponzu sauce (use the home-made ponzu sauce below if you don't want to buy ready made ponzu sauce)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Home-made ponzu sauce (mix together the following)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dashi stock
- 1 tablespoon yuzu juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- Pat dry fish fillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and dust with all purpose flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Cook the fish fillet until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Wipe the pan clean, or use another clean frying pan. Boil together ponzu sauce and butter, then return the fish fillet to simmer for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off, transfer to serving plates, and garnish with some thinly sliced scallions. You can serve with a side of simple salad, and this dish goes really well with steamed white rice.