This is your basic sambal cabe ijo for Padang cuisine fans out there. This chili sauce, though I would personally call this a relish instead of sauce due to its chunky texture, is easy to make and tastes great either by itself or with simply boiled or steamed vegetables. I love this sauce so much sometimes I take my lalap with this instead of the regular sambal terasi. ♥
Sambal Cabe Ijo Padang - Padang Green Chili Relish
- 100 gram green chilies (Indonesian: cabe ijo besar)
- 5 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (Indonesian: jeruk nipis)
- 3 tomatillos (Indonesian: tomat hijau), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 50 gram Medan anchovies (Indonesian: ikan teri Medan)
- Steam green chilies until soft.
- Place green chilies and shallots in a food processor and pulse two or three times. Or you can use a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add green chilies mixture and lime juice and sauté until fragrant.
- Add sliced tomatillos, salt, and sugar. Mix well. Add anchovies, mix well. Cook until the tomatillos are tender and really start to fall apart. Turn off heat and transfer to a serving bowl.