Sambal mangga goes perfectly with grilled dishes, especially grilled seafood dishes like fish and shrimp. Using slightly underripe mango is best since the slight sourness in the mango makes this a truly refreshing sambal. If you need to amp up the sourness a notch or two, feel free to add some freshly squeeze lime juice to the sambal.
Sambal Mangga - Mango Chili Relish
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Serves: 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 gram slightly underripe mango flesh, cut into matchsticks
- juice of 1 lime (Indonesian: air jeruk nipis), or to taste
- Grind the following into coarse paste
- 8 red cayenne chilies (Indonesian: cabe keriting merah)
- 3 to 8 red bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah)
- 1 teaspoon toasted shrimp paste (Indonesian: terasi)
- Heat oil in a frying pan, then sauté chili paste until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Season with palm sugar and salt, adjust taste as needed.
- Turn off heat, transfer the chili sauce to a mixing bowl, then add the mango and gently toss until well mixed. Add lime juice as needed. Serve immediately.