Sambal rebus is a must have for soto lovers. This fiery chili sauce is a breeze to make, with Thai chilies and shallots boiled until soft before pureeing with salt and sugar to get a smooth sauce. Most soto will taste heavenly when served with this sambal, along with kaffir lime (Indonesian: jeruk limo), and sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis). ♥
Sambal Rebus - Boiled Chili Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Serves: 1/4 cup
- 20 red Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah), remove the seeds (*)
- 2 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled
- 150 ml water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a sauce pan, boil together chilies, shallots, and water until the vegetables are soft and the water is reduced by 50%.
- Transfer chilies, shallots, and water to a food processor or blender, season with salt and sugar. Process until smooth.
- (*) Do not remove the seeds for a super fiery chili sauce.