Whenever you make Indonesian soto (soups) at home, you must make sambal rebus to enjoy with your soto. Soto doesn't feel complete without this sambal.
Sambal rebus is a must-have for soto lovers. If you often make your own soto at home, you don’t want to run out of this sambal to enjoy with your soto. And for completeness, you will need soto, sambal rebus, some kaffir lime/regular lime juice, and kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce). When you have all of these, your soto will go from great to out-of-this-world delicious!
What do I need to make Indonesian sambal rebus?
There are only a handful of ingredients to prepare sambal rebus. You will need:
- Thai bird eye chilies, preferably red color
- shalllots, we usually use the smaller Asian/Chinese shallots
How do I cook/prepare Indonesian sambal rebus?
It only takes several very easy steps to prepare sambal rebus:
- Boil chilies and shallots with water until soft and the water is reduced by 50%.
- Transfer chilies, shallots, water to a blender/food processor, along with salt and sugar. Puree until smooth.
That’s it! That’s how easy it is to make your own homemade sambal rebus. From now on, don’t forget to enjoy any soto you may want to prepare with this sambal rebus.
Sambal Rebus - Boiled Chili Sauce
- 20 red Thai chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit merah), remove the seeds (*)
- 2 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah), peeled
- 150 ml water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a sauce pan, boil together chilies, shallots, and water until the vegetables are soft and the water is reduced by 50%.
- Transfer chilies, shallots, and water to a food processor or blender, season with salt and sugar. Process until smooth.
- (*) Do not remove the seeds for a super fiery chili sauce.