This is probably my favorite tauco dish, sambal tauco udang Medan, and of course this comes from the city of Medan. ;) I love shrimp dishes, and I love it when it is spicy, plus the color is just lovely no? If I have only this dish plus a bowl of steamed white rice for my meal, I will probably be needing some extra rice. ♥
If you love petai (stink bean), feel free to add some to this dish, about 50 to 100 gram will do. And if you are a fan of really spicy dish, add a couple of cabe rawit (bird eye chili) to really spice it up. Most restaurants will include cabe rawit for this, though you can always ask them to use only 1 or 2 to get a milder dish.
Sambal Tauco Udang Medan - Medan Spicy Shrimp Stir Fry
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 lemongrass (Indonesian: sereh), bruised and knotted
- 2 bay leaves (Indonesian: daun salam)
- 5 red anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe besar merah), sliced diagonally
- 5 green anaheim chilies (Indonesian: cabe besar hijau), sliced diagonally
- 2 to 5 green bird eye chilies (Indonesian: cabe rawit hijau), thinly sliced (*)
- 2 tablespoon fermented soy bean (Indonesian: tauco), washed and drained
- 100 gram night shade/pea eggplants (Indonesian: leunca), washed and drained
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar (Indonesian: gula Jawa), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 500 gram shrimps, peeled and deveined
- Grind the following into spice paste
- 10 shallots (Indonesian: bawang merah)
- 4 cloves garlic (Indonesian: bawang putih)
- 1 inch ginger (Indonesian: jahe)
- 1 inch galangal (Indonesian: lengkuas)
- Heat oil and sauté spice paste, lemongrass, and bay leaves until fragrant, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chilies and fermented soy bean, cook until chilies are slightly wilted.
- Add pea eggplants and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and water, season with sugar and salt. Adjust sugar and salt to suit your taste. Cook until the sauce boils and bubbles.
- Add the shrimps and quickly toss around. Once the shrimps turn pink, turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
- (*) Adding bird eye chilies is optional. Be warned that the final dish will be really hot and spicy if you do so.